- Should Students Have Homework - Benefits of Home Assignments
- Function of Homework
- Transferring Knowledge to Long-term Memory
- Screwing up the Discipline
- Stimulation of Cognitive Interest
- Development of Self-Control and Planning Skills
- Types of Homework
- Pros of Homework
- How to Create Perfect Conditions for Homework Handling?
The questions of whether homework is needed, what impact this type of task has on the students' development, and what amount of homework should be assigned to a child are acute. There are many debates on this regards among many families. Should students have homework? What is the practical benefit of homework? Let us get all this straightened out.
Function of Homework
It is already in the 16th century that homework became a mandatory component of the educational process. Since that years, there were many “yes” and “no” about this part of the education. Along with a positive effect, task caused such negative phenomena as student overload, mechanical learning, etc. Although some schools are refusing from using homework in their educational practices, the value from the assignment cannot be neglected. Everyone has rights to decide.
Transferring Knowledge to Long-term Memory
Homework is a necessary element of learning. Any new material that the child learns during the class should be consolidated and repeated outside the school setting. It is difficult to organize concentrated memorization and knowledge transfer into operational, short-term memory at lessons, no matter how well they are conducted. To “move” knowledge into long-term memory, children need a subsequent repetition, which requires a certain amount of work and time. That’s why it is important to do homework when students stay at home.
Homework should be complete the same day it is assigned to a child. The essence of the matter is that the material learned during the class is intensively forgotten in the 10-12 hours after its perception. The scientific survey shows that children can reproduce about 44% of the words after an hour after class, and 28% material is remembered after 2.5-8 hours. Homework assignments contribute to students' knowledge transfer from RAM to long-term memory. This is one of task great functions.
Screwing up the Discipline
Another fact is the function of screwing up knowledge and skills of the child that he may have missed because of not being in health for a long time. When doing homework, a student receives the necessary knowledge and deepens it.
Stimulation of Cognitive Interest
One more function is stimulating reserved students' cognitive interest, desire to know as much as possible on the subject or topic. Differentiated homework plays a positive role. It can test newly acquired knowledge.
Development of Self-Control and Planning Skills
Another function is making a student an adult, developing his perseverance and social responsibility for taking the task. A child develops time-/ workload- planning skills and takes responsibility.
Types of Homework
Every day, every schoolchild is assigned to do homework. It is not easy as it may seem to be for many. It is useful for a child in the sense that it develops knowledge and skills; this task teaches how to work independently. A big number of home assignments can be useful. Home assignments can lead to child overload, reduce his interest in learning, and academic performance.
When planned, task contributes to learning and development of skills that are important in adult life:
- willingness to solve problems;
- attention, memory;
- ability to formulate a task;
That’s why it is important to do tasks on a regular basis since it is a good contribution in the future of the student. The purpose of the task is to form skills of participating in independent activities and prepare the child for self-education. It is to give minutes of independent work.
Different types of homework exist - each performing its specific role:
- Oral and written;
- Associated with propaedeutics, assimilation, knowledge and skills synthesis and systematization;
- Reproductive, constructive, and creative;
- Mandatory (or optional);
- General, differentiated, and individual;
- Regulated (long-term) and without deadline set by the teacher;
Depending on a subject and knowledge level of a student, e.g. math, different types of homework can be assigned. It is a teacher who decides on what task will be relevant for children.
Pros of Homework
- Reteaching allows for better remembering of material and analytical thinking.
- Homework teaches kids of any age how to work independently outside the school setting.
- Homework is free. It is time when you do for lesson and study for free.
- With homework, studying becomes much more effective.
- Homework favorably affects a child on a psychological level. He becomes more independent in learning, has a feeling of satisfaction from the work done, and develops analytical thinking.
How to Create Perfect Conditions for Homework Handling?
To do homework fast and with fewer efforts, it is important to follow some simple tips. These recommendations will save a lot of time:
- Organize a workplace. There should be nothing to disturb you from what you are doing.
- Learn the requirements of teachers carefully. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask them.
- Plan your time. You should know when you do what
- Divide homework into parts. This approach is useful for those who find it difficult to concentrate on one task. It is easier to work on a complex assignment when dividing them into parts.
- Ask for help and explanation if necessary. It can be your friends, parents or teachers who you can ask advice from. Parents help you do homework.
- Decide on a time when you watch movies, talk to friends, and go out. Do homework and dedicate remaining time for your hobbies.
- Do not do homework at night. You will not be able to do proper research and read material well. A risk you receive a low grade exists.
We understand the fact that it is difficult to force yourself to do homework. You shouldn’t consider it a torture. You should treat time you spend on homework as an investment you make in your successful future. Without studying material and doing the home assignment, the opportunity that you get accepted by a prestigious college/ university decreases. If you want to become successful, dedicate your every day to doing homework. Your family should support you! If you ask us “should students have homework,” we will give you an affirmative reply. The reason for the claim is obvious - incest in your future!